Tuesday, July 31, 2007

If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It!

I need to play catch up here!! First can't say the knee is back to 100% but at least I'm able to run. I'm going to defer to my Training Log and MotionBased websites for stats. However I will mention last weeks summary:

Total Mileage 14.06
Average Pace 13:04
Average HR 127

Something a bit interesting on my Garmin 305. I "upgraded" (haha) the unit software on the Garmin from 2.5 to 2.7 (thought maybe that was the thing to do). See where this is going? I also had to upgrade the MotionBased Agent (software that uploads data from Forerunner 305 to the MotionBased website) to the next version (the actual version number escapes me right now). Anyway, I got that working. So I then go to upload yesterday's run. Normally I'll connect the 305 to the PC and Garmin's Training Center software fires up and reads the run from the device. Did that happen yesterday? NO!!! Turns out I also had to upgrade the Training Center software which I first had to download from the Garmin website! So when am I going to see any upgrade here???

Okay, so I finally get Training Center to read from the 305, and upload to the Motionbased website. The next thing is backups! I had been using some software called BackupTC and SportTracks. BackupTC does as the name implies (or is that infers?). It creates a backup copy of the history file after its exported. SportTracks is another Training Log piece of software which I had been using but not really depended too much on. I notice however that the upgraded Training Center no longer exports it's history file in a .hst format but into a .tcx format! Does BackupTC recognize the new format? NO! Does SportTracks read the new .tcx format? NO!!

Well at least I can read the run info from my 305 into the Training Center as well as upload to my MotionBased website. For backups, I think I can just manually do that by backing up the .tcx file. Hopefully there's no other hidden files required! SportTracks while I was using it, I was just uploading to it, kinda like wearing two watches! So maybe this way I have a reason to stop using it! That must be the upgrade! - LOL


Hence the title of this blog entry!

1 comment:

Una said...

I distinctly remember you giving me the same advice (re: Garmin) several years ago!

I hope you have it all settled now :)